Bayern Munich centre-back Holger Badstuber never doubted that he would eventually return from his injury nightmare.
The 25-year-old played for the first time since 2012 when he featured for an hour in the German champions 3-0 friendly win over the Red Baroons fan club on Friday.
Badstuber ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament against Borussia Dortmund in December 2012 and suffered a recurrence of the injury in May last year.
Despite enduring a prolonged spell on the sidelines, Badstuber was always confident he would return and claims he is now playing pain free.
No, there was no doubt [that I might not return from injury]. I always knew I d get a chance here, playing free of any pain. I always looked forward and was very focused, he said.
I do…
Women s club football in Europe is at a critical juncture but can soar to stunning new heights over the next decade, a new report from UEFA has disclosed.
Its commercial value can grow sixfold to €686million by 2033 and club sponsorship could swell to €295million by the same point, according to European football s governing body.
The developing professional leagues across Europe remain at an early stage of growth, emphasised by the fact spending on international player transfers topped €2m for the first time last year.
UEFA published its Business Case for Women’s Football on Tuesday, with the women s game planning to capitalise on the success of international tournaments such as Euro 2022 by aiming to steer supporters and investors towards the clubs …
Mateo Retegui s instant impact for Italy has left Roberto Mancini considering exploring further options for the Azzurri through the dual-citizenship ruling.
Argentina-born Retegui scored on his international debut for Italy in Thursday s 2-1 defeat to England and found the net again in the 2-0 victory over Malta three days later in Euro 2024 qualifying.
The striker s selection has sparked debate closer to home with Azzurri striker Mario Balotelli previously suggesting Mancini has enough attacking options to call upon from Italy.
But head coach Mancini has been encouraged by Retegui s early development and refused to rule out making similar moves in future.
He said at his post-match press conference: Retegui is a goalscorer, it s no small thing. It s what …
Jack Wilshere could be available for Arsenal s Premier League match against Stoke City on Sunday despite withdrawing from international duty with England.
Wilshere missed Friday s 1-0 win over Netherlands in Amsterdam due to a tendon problem in his knee and the issue has not cleared up in time for him to face Italy at Wembley on Tuesday.
The 26-year-old s return to form and the Arsenal first team has put him in the frame for a place in Gareth Southgate s squad in Russia and the England boss believes Wilshere should be in a position to continue that work this weekend.
I ve no reason to believe that he won t be back for their next game, Southgate told a news conference to preview the Italy game.
It s an ongoing issue that he has to manage. He wasn t going…
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is desperate for success with the LA Galaxy, saying the lion is hungry as he prepares for his MLS debut.
Ibrahimovic, 36, arrived in Los Angeles Thursday after signing a deal with the Galaxy following his stint at Manchester United.
The striker only made seven appearances for United this season after returning from a serious knee injury.
But Ibrahimovic, who could debut against rivals Los Angeles FC Saturday, said he was eager to deliver for the Galaxy.
I know it s been a long break for me without rhythm due to my injury but I just want to go out and smell the grass and touch the ball, he said.
After training I asked if I could go and shoot some balls. I feel young, I feel like Benjamin Button. I was born old and now I feel …
Chelsea F.C. have confirmed the signing of Brazil Under-20 international attacking midfielder Nathan Brazilian club Atletico Paranaense.
Nathan, 19, revealed he was set to join the Blues on Instagram earlier this week. Now that the 19-year-old has passed a medical and the parties have concluded the formalities of the deal, it is finally official.
Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce we have agreed terms with Atletico Paranaense for the transfer of Nathan, read a statement on the Blues official website.
The 19-year-old Brazilian will join us on 1 July. Nathan, who has passed a medical and agreed personal terms, has earned a reputation as an attacking midfielder with an eye for goal and impressive pace.
Nathan, full name Nathan A…
After securing a long-awaited 10th European crown for Real Madrid in 2013-14, Carlo Ancelotti was always likely to find it tough to scale those heights again during what proved his final season in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu.
A campaign preceded by plenty of squad changes began promisingly, with a UEFA Super Cup success over Sevilla, but Real were edged out of La Liga s title race by Barcelona and exited the UEFA Champions League in the final four.
Super Cup and Club World Cup trophies alone are not enough to satisfy Real and Ancelotti paid the price as his exit was announced at the end of the season.
ALL CHANGE AS DI MARIA AND ALONSO DEPART
Ancelotti was backed in the transfer market ahead of the new campaign as James Rodriguez a…
AC Milan and Inter Milan are showing interest in Rennes defender Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik, .
The Rossoneri have yet to sign a proper replacement for Thiago Silva and they are currently following a number of talented centre-backs all over Europe.
Rennes stopper Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik is the latest player to be linked with a switch to San Siro.
Milan have been alerted of the player’s potential a while back, but it appears they are finally ready to step up their interest in the youngster.
Max Allegri’s side could, however, face a stiff competition from arch rivals Inter, who are also keen on the France Under-21 international.
Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik has come through the famous Le Havre youth academy and amassed 42 league appearances for the club befor…
Valencia midfielder Sergio Canales has revealed that Chelsea midfielder Oriol Romeu would be happy to join the Spanish club.
Romeu moved to Stamford Bridge from Barcelona in 2011 but has struggled to nail down a first-team berth since and saw his second season at the club ended in December by a knee injury.
However, Canales, who has played alongside Romeu at various age levels for the Spanish national team, says his compatriot is open to the idea of returning to La Liga.
He told Superdeporte: I have spoken with Oriol and I say sincerely that he is very taken by the option of Valencia.
This squad is perfect for a player to progress.
Romeu has made just 15 Premier League starts in total since joining Chelsea, and has yet to net a goal in the English top flig…
Veteran Croatian international defender Josip Simunic signed for Hoffenheim on Tuesday from fellow Bundesliga rivals Hertha Berlin.
The 31-year-old Australian-born star will cost Hoffenheim 7million euros and is to sign a three year contract.
Simunic, capped 70 times and a member of the Croat side that reached the Euro 2008 quarter-finals, has played in the Bundesliga for over 12 years with aside from Hertha a previous stint with Hamburg.
…